Remember to take photo ID to vote
Press Release: 15/02/2023
THE Government has introduced new rules which mean all voters must now show an accepted photographic identification before they can cast their vote.
Tameside Council will hold its first elections in May 2023 where photographic identification will be required for those who vote at polling stations.
If you go to vote at a polling station with no accepted photo identification, you will not be issued with a ballot paper and will need to return with an accepted form of photo identification.
The law specifies the types of documents that are accepted forms of ID. These have been decided by the UK Government. You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable – you can use any of the following:
- A passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state, or a Commonwealth country
- A driving licence (including provisional) issued by the UK, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an EEA state
- Blue badge
- Certain concessionary travel cards, such as an Older Person’s Bus Pass or an Oyster 60+ card
- Identity card with PASS mark (Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
- Biometric Immigration document
- Defence identity card
- Certain national identity cards
You will only need to show one form of ID, but it must be original as copies cannot be accepted. You will be able to use expired photo ID if you are still recognisable from the photo
What if I don’t have ID?
Those that already have an accepted form of ID do not need to apply. To apply for the Voter Authority Certificate, voters will need to provide a photo, full name, date of birth, the address at which they are registered to vote and their National Insurance number.The deadline to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate for the local elections on 4 May 2023 is 5pm on Tuesday 25 April 2023.
Should you need any help completing the online form or require assistance please call Tameside Council’s customer services team 0161 342 8355. You can also use Tameside library computers to apply and can speak to a member of the library team if you require assistance.